Monday, March 29, 2021

Pitch y Catchee 2021... 09*

I  want to talk about Frankie. It was difficult to write this, I think, funny baseball passage. Some may recognize Frankie, Bubs and me, but the essence of the tale is true. I mentioned our families were close.  He was very much like me, he needed leadership. Bubs always had direction, esp., if it came from Big Bubs, but he knew how to get to where he wanted to go.  For Frankie and me to trust each other when the bottom fell out on step one was expected in some sort of weird way. Both Bubsies were, and are, eternally in our lives. We walked over to the bus stop 11400 S Western onward to 4000 N Addison.

Frankie and I learned to trust each other in our formative/lost years.  We weren’t the stand outs athletically; our brotherhood was to pass each other the basketball no matter what Coach Big Bill had to say. Our connection was beyond these yahoos we called our classmates. Esp., because I wanted to doink his cousin Colleen so bad, it was really royally announced – but no one noticed. Some Marine got in the way…

… Frank and I, others from the Southside, and his cousin Dennis training thoroughbreds spent a meet at the Fairgrounds, New Orleans, La… circa 1976. We lived together, we survived together. We enjoyed pancakes in the track kitchen, as soon as the ‘storm’, a.k.a.  ‘fucking hurricane’ slows down… go out and calm those horses down’… it was a crazy carnie lifestyle… We always watched each other’s’ backs…

As in life Coach Dikta, Frankie’s’ and my life diverged.  He unraveled, had his issues. I avoided him near the end; I feel he needed me most, to my regret. People in my life, I refer to them often.

These recollections are homage to Frankie,

a Distinctive, Questioning and Loving friend, and Sox fan

**********************






**********

No comments:

Post a Comment