Thursday, March 18, 2021

Pitch y Catchee 2021...06*


Here we were six innings into the game and neither Frankie nor I realized it was a no-hitter. Those Oh! So wise Cub Fans sure did. We scrambled hard to find a solid seat. The sight line was upper deck looking over the left field bleachers, the Other Uecker from where we started. It got to be tremendously exciting when we started to pay attention. I vaguely remember a great foul ball catch by third base. Could it be Ron Santo?

When Henry Aaron hit the ball over the wall --- and it did --- and had it blow back into Billy Williams waiting glove, backed into the indent, and the ivy walls, that was sensational. We saw it right in front of our eyes… the ball must have blown back eight feet on descent, otherwise a homer. We saw it direct.

This a firsthand account and I speak for Frankie, too. He was sitting next to me.

An aside… a few days later, my orthodontist wanted to hear all about it. So as he was tightening my braces and poking in my mouth, I told him. I was excited to tell anyone, it must have sounded like I was speaking intergalactic Klatuu. He probably laughed his ass off after I left.

***************************






***************

No comments:

Post a Comment