Wednesday, November 1, 2023

Playing Around* 6


A new winery opened down the road this season. This is a long way from Napa. We are in Wisconsin... and they make their own wine! The proprietors are hardworking lovely couple, Kris and Doug, living their retirement dream . It is a beautiful location overlooking the flowage with a lagoon and garden. I annoyingly have a million ideas of what they can do with this sight, including renting the whole shebang to wedding parties, but then, who gets married anymore? and why? The first years in business are a wobbly legged endeavor. I have high hopes this establishment catches on. I've been searching vainly for a regular spot to play my guitar and K/D are most receptive. Wisconsin wine...whew... another good point about not drinking alcohol.

I played here over the summer to the umbrella-ed tables. Ambient music mostly, I have fun practicing for people. Everything going smooth on a sunny, beautiful day. I get a hankering to play Put Another Log on the Fire, one of my country faves, and halfway through the center table of oddly misshapen Wisconsin women gets up and leaves en masse with a dirty look or two my direction on the way out. 
 I love that song.

The resort season is done this year for business not related to pure survival. Winter is coming quickly. The winery will stay open until Thanksgiving, so music moves inside. I play my acoustic by the fireplace and it's like playing in their living room. I'm not there to perform or please. I'm there to fill the room with healing, harmonic aural vibrations as people sippy-whippy and chat. Or, maybe, just listen.

No tip jar. Low key. I had a young lady on her way out drop two bucks in front of me and say "Thanks for the atmosphere", a gift I can accept because she gets it and I'm grateful. Another woman ran up to me with her cell phone to show me a picture of Cat Stevens asking me to do Father and Son. Of course, she didn't know the title of the song and I had to play guessing game with her, scrolling together. I said, "No". She left confused. Why do people think I'm a juke box? For a bio-machine, communicating in text, showing pictures instead of using words, and unable to compliment, it's easy.

I like playing my guitar for people. Another day, another time and place, I'll take requests. From genuine people.

*********************************



*************************************




**********************

No comments:

Post a Comment