Tuesday, October 25, 2022

Ego Schmego


I'm having a little problem with this "Ego" concept, always have.  

I had a yoga teacher once who was advising we 'kill our ego'.  I shouted out "You kill yours first".  How impetuous I was, he declared after class.  Took me to task.  We argued, he is still my friend, after all.  He never expected an upstart, so respected he was.  I made him think.

This "you got an ego" put-down is another form of bullyism it seems to me. It's another variation of 'turn the other cheek' which is a sure fire way of defeatism and oppressions.  "Yes, sir, can I have another" - we laughed like crazy at Kevin Bacon in Animal House getting paddled on the ass.  But he turned out to the functioning oppressor in the movie.  I guess he thought everyone should get paddled on the ass. I don't.

'Control your ego' might be a better term.  Meditating monks are slaves to the guru.  Is this what you really want in your life?  The guru's ego is as big as the universe, he's got it all -women, drugs and guns - the monk get to clean the holy septic tank.

I prefer 'Don't Believe Everything You Think".  Be-lie-ve. We constantly lie to ourselves.  Getting on top of your thought process with discernment is what is needed. 

I'm constantly being battered around by other peoples'  over-inflated egos (women in particular).  Men can check their egos and resulting big mouths by a subtle threat of being bopped on the nose. Women get a free pass to be bullies. I don't like their company.

**************************


********************************


No comments:

Post a Comment