Saturday, April 25, 2020

Bff Reports ... 004 Hand Shake*


Black-footed Ferret Reports: 
Dispatch 4 from DumbFuck Nation, United States of Absurdia 

As usual, I was up and out as soon as the morning sun shown. I got a tip that seven miles outside Taos is the Rio Grande Gorge Bridge and I just have to see it. Very early in the morning, I toodled around Taos, a very attractive town square with gazebo, drank my coffee and glommed on the WIFi of the hotel until a police officer slowly cruised by. Once again, the CA plates defy my undercover desire. He made me nervous, so I slipped away. Maybe I’ll meet Miles Mathis another time. 

I drove out to the Bridge and was glad to see a Rest Area at the sight, I needed a little wipe down. No one seemed to be there, so I wandered and took in the view. (Incidentally, all my time in New Mexico, the earth seemed pretty flat. We will leave that discussion for another time.) I was cracking up a bit from the loneliness. There probably weren’t ten people in this county. I played my guitar on the bench and cried through some of my favorite love songs. I really missed her. 

Suddenly a man appeared, a groundskeeper or custodian, as he started to do the morning chores and unlocked the bathrooms. He came over to me and listened, said he’d be back to show me a few licks after his duties. Sure enough, a little later he sat right next to me and asked to play my guitar. I always hate handing my guitar to someone else. They either bang on it too strongly or never intend to give it back. He had those qualities, but I relented. 

Julien was his name and I introduced myself. He had a unique style and was a very good player. He did a love song he wrote, a real rocking cover of the Beatles' One after 909, and another original about the virus, very dark. He then wanted to get back to work, but I made him listen to my song, BUNNY HUTCH. 


About the third verse I could see his jaw was on his chest and wanted to escape. I finished and said, “Now you shake my hand.” I could see him back away; he had on his work gloves. I said, “Now you shake my hand. You got your germs all over my guitar, I didn’t question you. Now, shake my hand.” A big, bright smile formed and he took his right glove off, we shook hands, wished each other the best in these troubled times. It would be another week before I had the pleasure to do that again. 

It was a beautiful, warm sun, clear day at the top and end of the world as far as I was concerned. I meditated quietly on a bench a half mile hike away for what seemed like the longest time. I cried for the state of this country. I was in a glorious cathedral and I felt like shit. 

I took off about noon to take the Corona Cure… 

Dispatch 5 of the Black-footed ferret Reports in DumbFuck Nation coming soon…

************************

2 comments:

  1. Sure am enjoying the Black-Footed Ferret Reports...please keep them coming, Idaho could sure use your most astute assessment...see you soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Unknown from Idaho. The Bff is currently in an undisclosed location with limited internet and Tablet, making it difficult to proceed. I'll do my best to catch up soon. Thanks, again, Wes

    ReplyDelete