Wednesday, February 7, 2024

Goatitude


HAPPY DANCE

One beautiful thing about living a rural life is the animals in contact with along the daily routine.

My neighbor down the road took in two pet goats last fall, soon to be tacos. Two brothers, clone like, they can't stand to be apart. Active, curious, and hungry. They ate a large blackberry bush. He mentioned they don't have any leaves to eat now being under the snow.

Well, I got leaves. I'm running a compost farm. A few days go by, and I fill a 5 gallon bucket with maple leaves and head on down the road. As soon as I came up the driveway, those goats were chewing on those leaves like potato chips. I pored them into the feeding grate. And they chomped for a while.

I chatted with the neighbor for a bit. He had chores to do and I started to head home. Coming down the driveway came the goats, dancing, kicking, head butting and generally putting on a happy show for me. They stopped for a moment and both approached me and put their head down for an acknowledgement of gratitude. I pet their heads and they danced off following my neighbor.. For a bucket of leaves. I can no longer envision them as tacos.

****************************


**************************

No comments:

Post a Comment