Monday, July 24, 2023

Playing Around* 3



AN AUDIENCE TO AN AUDIENCE

Playing music for people, watching the individuals and how they react, one can see the spirit inside people. The human types drop some pretense, smile, shake a little and joy leaks out their aura. Some move on with their head down, bothered by the noise. Seeing the young children dancing, knowing the music being made by me is injecting happiness into their life fills my heart with happiness. Music has that power. I want to play my guitar for exuberant dancers.

A trusted friend told me I won't make it around here playing protest songs. Drinking songs are popular among drinkers. Women don't like break-up songs, men can't get enough murder ballads. Love songs get a murmur. Audience is listening and watching harder than I realize, respect gets their attention. They don't know how to react. 'Thanks for listening' is my buzz line. I mean it more than they know.


Being relaxed at the microphone is important. An identification and a bonding must occur. A trust I'll do my best and they will enjoy in some fashion. Surprising myself, I look forward to singing and how and what is going to come out of my mouth. The emotional expression is healing to my person. Music has the power to heal. Songs have been there in the darkest moments, making a brighter future once the bridge is crossed. Compliments I receive are genuine and very touching. Gas money, sometimes. Fellow musicians are my harshest critics but I want them to be. That's how I learn.

I'll keep ploughing the rocky hard ground around here. My journey is a sociology study of how "out of it" the population seems to be. I play my music to many slack-jawed blobs gawking at me. In fact, the majority of people don't even seem to be in the same fish bowl with me. From the stage people look like rain on the window, mentally scattered, a low spiritual mist in a battleship grey fear based society. Self-policing is such an oppressive culture killer. All public expression is suspect. The Prine song Safety Joe has the line "seatbelt on your heart". It is a good description of my recent performing experience, judging them, watching them dying of boredom.

****************


*******************
Safety Joe Safety Joe 
What do you say? What do you know?
If you don't loosen up the buckle 
On your heart and start to chuckle 
You're gonna die of boredom 
Safety Joe

********************************

No comments:

Post a Comment