Monday, November 2, 2009

Dipped My Toe In*


*************************************
I Can Feel Her Pain:

At issue is the alleged bullying of a contemporary trailblazer: Moira Cameron, the first woman to serve as yeoman warder at the Tower, which dates back to the 11th century.


******************************



Regular employment almost got me. The allurement of working a job on the ground floor of exciting opportunities was offset by sleepless nights and no health care offered by the employer.

The man who was offering me this paycheck was well accomplished in his field. He has written books and practiced his trade for over thirty years. He is at the top of his game and, most likely, a multi-millionaire. He made all his decisions based on the paperwork in front of him and wouldn't think of making a move without all the t's crossed and i's dotted - except when it came to his employees. Then all inquiries about employment conditions were shuffled off with a, "Don't worry. I'll take care of you.", which may or may not be true. I didn't stick around long enough to find out.

The stress in his office was palpable. The staff was afraid and often browbeaten by him. (I didn't see it personally, but observing his megalomaniac habits it doesn't seem far fetched to me). They were all beholden to him in more ways than simply working for him. He knew how to manage his business but he sure didn't know how to manage people. They were simply to be used and their labor was demeaned and unappreciated. Talked a good game of respect, but didn't show it. All field personnel were considered "janitors", as if that is a derogatory term.

I simply am not ready to join the wage-slave world, although work doesn't scare me or wanting to do something constructive isn't in my plans. I demand to be appreciated and understood as a struggling laborer. I will not be constantly reminded of how I didn't measure up and how overpaid I am. My attitude is great entering these situations and horrible with ill health soon after I begin. I refuse to blame myself totally for work place problems when the environment is hostile, mean spirited and simply about profit for one arrogant individual. I'll use my own talents to create my own world, thank you very much.

No comments:

Post a Comment