Thursday, April 23, 2009

Guaranteed*


Work did what it does to me. I spent two days on a jobsite doing what I'm trained to do. Now I sit at a blank screen without an insightful or provocative thought. Work is mind numbing.

I made a few bucks. It was nice to get the tools out, install it properly, do a good job. On some level it was very satisfying. I earned my pay fair and square. I left with better relations with my fellow tradesmen and the customer. All were happy with my effort, and I should be, too.

Yesterday, the crew asked if I was going with them for coffee break. I declined and after they left I went and sat on the bench in the backyard, meditated and listened to the birds. Living in the city I don't often hear this wonderful cacophony. In my egocentric human state, I thought the birds were talking about me. It was a very pleasant way to spend a short time on beautiful morning. When they returned, I explained to the local boys how lucky they were to have birds. They looked at me like I was nuts.

I learned, as I now listen carefully, how much stress people are under. The self-anger when things don't go exactly right or the frustrations of the employed in workplace conditions. I don't understand why we don't have more self-compassion. Take it easy on ourselves. It seems so much of our identity is wrapped up in our occupations and being the absolute best at what we do is our personal goal. They broke Fast Eddie's thumbs after all. It doesn't pay to be the best, it pays to be the most satisfied.

Working people truly are their own worst enemies. We allowed middle management to browbeat us into self-doubt and pit us against each other in competition. Now middle management is looking for a job and I'm surviving without one. I don't intend on hiring an overseer. I wonder what their skills were and how needed they are. Their job was to divide, not to create, though by accident they took all the credit when a job was completed. I value my labor and don't need a big fat opinion on how deficient and overvalued it may be. I'd rather not believe lies. I will be appreciated for my efforts or do the job without me. I give my best, I will be respected.

No comments:

Post a Comment