Friday, January 9, 2009

Squirellyness in Society*


"Why don't they get new jobs if they're unhappy - or go on Prozac" -Susan Sheybani, Bush election campaign official, July 29, 2004 

I read: Be a happy slave or be a chemical slave... or don't be a slave at all. I have a new compassion for those people on meds. I was as once as cold and crass as the above Ms. Susan. The more I talk about workplace stress, I find that some could not go on another day without them. I find it sad and the ultimate condemnation of this sick society. Similar to the case of undocumented workers taking the day off and grinding this country to halt, why don't have a week that those on meds forestall them and go to work. That would be interesting. They have captured our minds. All thought, values, and actions are simply in reaction to the seeking, spending and hoarding of money. We are not truly human in this modern day, but automatons/robots, now being chemically induced to perform tasks we deeply don't want to do. Surrounded by horror and immersed in fear I believe people have the character of squirrels. Rushing about, burying nuts, jumping at every condition around them. Some people need the drugs and I'm now the last person to comment on their situation. I knew it wasn't going to be for me. I am taking the time to learn how to relax the mind through meditation techniques and energize the body with yoga. These are century old tried and true methods, and while it takes an effort and time, I will say my perspective on life has improved and, most importantly I believe, I have developed a compassion for myself allowing me to have compassion for others. I don't believe I had much of that when I started. For those dealing with anger and stress, I recommend it highly.

No comments:

Post a Comment