Friday, January 30, 2009

Changing Minds

Article of the Day: http://www.forbes.com/2007/05/01/stress-health-office-forbeslife-cx_avd_0502stress.html

Book of Note: http://www.amazon.com/Destructive-Emotions-Scientific-Dialogue-Dalai/dp/0553381059/ref=sr_1_10?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1233325295&sr=1-10

Western science, through the work of Davidson at UW/Madison among others, have been proving the benefits on the mind by practicing meditation. The lastest MRI, EEG, and the latest testing on Tibetan lamas have shown without a doubt the changes in the prefrontal lobes, especially, and connecting amygdala and hippocampas sections of the brain. These scientists have overturned the existing thought that we are genetically born with only so many neurons and slowly waste away as we get older. The brain can generate new neural capacity, can enlarge more positive sections like the left prefrontal lobe controlling emotions like compassion, etc and shrinking the amygdala, the reptile source of reaction. This puts a whole new meaning on the phrase "Changing Your Mind".

When the scientists quizzed the lama and asked him when in deep contemplation if he ever senses anger, the lama replied he did not. Buddhists generally believe that anger is a mental affliction and never has a reason to exist. The Westerners seem to make excuses for anger at every turn.

What the lama's statement means to me is that I am not an innate angry person, as I may have been accused. When I self evaluate, I don't see myself as an angry person, I don't want to be an angry person. Anger must come into me from the outside and I let it in. It is my lack of training or emotional maturity that causes the cascade of pain associated with unskillful speech, violent actions or confused opinions resulting from anger/rage and my reaction. It is the control of my inner self that is changing the world, not the other way around.

I invite all working people to reevaluate their relationships on the shop floor. To address the most difficult and the most trusting and speak of an affection for each. To resonate a common goal and promote peace. Enjoy your work.

No comments:

Post a Comment