Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Buddha is Cool

Last night I got instruction on 5 Precepts of Buddhism. Now I am a willing listener, now after internal turmoil and a lifetime of pyscho-suffering, I am an audience willing to receive the message. Breaking the cycle of suffering is the goal - seems so simple.

Refrain from taking life (or intending to, maybe)

Easy enough, unless it applies to diet. Much discussion on this, but certainly tied to the anger emotion and the quiet, internal wish someone would die.

Refrain from unskillful speech

The crux of my biscuit. The way people talk to each other with rudeness and aggresion just goes right through me these days. Insult follows insult and passes for humor. If I don't go along with it, I'm too serious. Striving to be mindful of my language.

Refrain from sexual aberrations or excess

I thought I was having pleasure and it was good. My spirit took a beating.

Refrain from taking what is not freely given.

Not just Thou shalt not steal, but not to impose yourself on others time. Many applications here,by far possibly the most profund.

Refrain from mental intoxicants

Drugs, alcohol, forsure, but how about crappy television? or a car radio with tormenting commercials? So much poisin in so many forms we let into our brain.

I've learned so much in the past year and will continue to research and live a better life. Peace to all.

No comments:

Post a Comment