Tuesday, June 9, 2009

Japan Dispatch #1*


The War Monster is everywhere:

... if you’re wondering how North Korea got its nukes in the first place, look no further than the U.S. government itself.
Two years before North Korea was included in the “axis of evil,” former U.S. Defense Secretary Donald Rumsfeld, during his time as executive director of ABB, signed off on a $200 million dollar contract to build light water nuclear reactors in North Korea.
Rumsfeld was merely picking up the baton from the Clinton administration, who in 1994 agreed to replace North Korea’s domestically built nuclear reactors with light water nuclear reactors.

******************************

May 19, 2009

Hello All,

The flight was uneventful, everything went smooth. I was greeted in Osaka by the bio-force in suits and masks, they checked us out thoroughly, got more fingerprints and pictures of our faces and let us in. Osamu, MR MORI and KenJi took me out to traditional Japanese dinner last night. We had a great conversation covering many topics of the coming week, LB and Peace TV. I didn:t realize they are on weekly, so they are always pressed. They are very ambitious and have 100 shows done so far.

This morning KenJi and I are to fly to Okinawa and I will meet Mr Shalah from SANA TV and we will address a class of social justice students at the University. I'll be showing Chicago Occupied and speaking for 30min, I find in my mind I have a lot to say, it's the stringing together that must be refined.

My son graduated Sunday from Marquette. I couldn't believe the militarization of his school's ceremony. The three branches lead the procession into the hall and during the diploma ceremony, the student who joined the military were announced to a disturbing round of applause. I started clapping loudly for the graduates who got a degree in Social Welfare and Justice, I'd like to believe people were joining in by the end. Marquette talks from both sides of their mouth and will be getting a pointed letter when I return.

I'll have to tie this all in when I speak. Osamu and Kenji opened my perspective on why they find this aspect so interesting. Japan is a de-militarized zone. They have gone a couple generations of no forced conscription or outward military presence until, of course, recently. The school teachers who won't stand for the recently (mid 80s) imposed playing of the WarSongs at ceremonies are leading the way to this discussion.

As I was talking this over with my son afterwards, he asked me Wasn't it always like this? You can see the insidious creep it has.

OK, I'll try to write everyday and keep you guys updated.

No comments:

Post a Comment