Saturday, June 13, 2009

Japan Dispatch #4*


Ames, author of Going Postal:

Every day, Americans play the role of Elmer Fudd to the oligarchy's Bugs Bunny--if you look at it from the oligarchy's point of view, at least.

Robber Soul? Creepy:

It is being called the most documented case of reincarnation ever.A little boy is able to recall over 50 memories from someone else's life. A World War II Pilot's family believes it is their reincarnated brother based on the child's memories.The boy's story is so compelling, it has been published in a new book called "Soul Survivor"

How convenient:

Mufti Sarfaraz Naeemi, a prominent Muslim cleric widely known in Pakistan for denouncing suicide bomb attacks, was killed on Friday when a young Taliban sympathiser blew himself up at Mr Naeemi’s mosque in Lahore, capital of the Punjab.

*************************************************


Japan Dispatch #4 May 23, 2009

I hope LB meeting went well.

I can only begin to describe how the last two days went. What an incredible experience.

Before we left Hiroshima, Mr Salih mentioned how the ruins of the atomic explosion reminded him of the state of Iraq today. No ill will intention on his part, but man, did that hurt.

I had a delightful conversation with Mr HINADA on the train back to Osaka. He teaches High School English and it was pleasurable speaking more freely. I`m sure his translation was excellent because we were entering a presentation I was not prepared to expect.

The auditorium had about 300 people. The organizers here were all college students and their energy was contagious. The program was put together with precision, many short rest periods breaking up the series of 3 minute video entries. Mr Salih and SANA video of hospital injuries was in the morning and Aaron in Erbil and my speech was in the afternoon. I covered counter recruitment in the Chicago Public Schools and IVAW. It went over quite well, the Japanese Peace Movement is on the ground running neutralising the growing militarization of this country. The slogan of the Japanese Teachers Union is `Never Again Will We Send Our Children Into Battle` and I asked Mr HINADA to have the JTU send a letter to Marilyn Stewart of the Chicago Teachers' Union, with that sentiment. I`m sure he will.

Everyone here is thoroughly impressed with Aaron Hughes. It was announced that he accepted an invitation to attend the ZENKO conference here on August 1 and a big roar from the audience went up. He deserves it.

All the videos were exciting, especially one about a sit down occupation in a WalMart type store in Korea 2007. I have DVD`s of the entire Festival and this one should be put on CAN ASAP language as it is. Visually does the trick on this one.

It was a joyous day and, again, we went to dinner afterwards and the students made this party great fun, but again again, I didn`t know what was coming next.

I overslept and had to hurry my sorry, tired ass to the train station with MR MORI, Kondo, the excellent Arabic translator and Mr Salih to go to Kyoto, about an hour train. I was beat, but once still again invigorated when we go to another beautiful venue and maybe 100 people to greet us. The structure of this day a little different, but many short breaks which was very nice to mingle. I had to get away for an hour before my talk because my thoughts were so overwhelmed, but I got it together. Salih and I have developed a splendid relationship. I`m very concerned about his safety. Maybe, I`ll have a cop knock me on the head with a stick at some demonstration, but he may very well be killed for his efforts. I say good bye to him today and must make it meaningful.

I talked about the dying, lying corporate media and how important it is to use the new technologies available to tell your own stories. I tried to encourage the videotographers because it seems most of them are fairly new to it.. All very creative, these video shorts were a treat to see and doubly so because the messages were all positive and show the better side of people. Very engaging in these struggle stories.

They presented us with several lovely gifts at the end. Everyone worked so hard on the preparation of this event and all thought it a great success.

Because it sure as hell created a splendid farewell party. What a tremendous good time of singing, laughing and fun. It was great to see Mr Salih laugh so much. We had a splendid rendition of the Internationale (I gotta learn the words, but I sang the chorus with robust cheer). It was blast. Pictures galore, I can`t wait to share with everyone.

This morning I`m training solo to Tokyo and that ought to be interesting. I`ll be met by someone to talk to another board. I`ll have a few hours of sightseeing beforehand.. I've running since I`ve arrived, literally, and it will be nice just to wander around for a while.

The next day I`ll flying to Seattle to spend some time with my daughter and some friends in Tacoma. Take a couple of days to unwind and get my thoughts together. LB has made many strong friendships through this endeavour. I just represented, it`s the body of work that sells itself and everyone should be very proud of our 22 year record. The people here sure appreciate it. What great hosts, they treated Salih and myself like kings and I have nothing but the highest regard for the Japanese people.

I`ll make some phone calls as soon I return to the States.

Take care, everyone.

No comments:

Post a Comment