Sunday, March 1, 2009

Pragmatism is Hell

Capitalism is dying like a cancer ridden loved one. It's only a matter of time. Morphine or LSD-25 is needed to help the transition. It is not passing easily.

How will the world make another rotation? How will the seed sprout? How will people survive?

This society, right wing or left, seems to have such faith in money and cannot describe a problem or solution except in these terms. The alternatives of spiritual nature are not taken seriously despite the positive addition to life it brings. Existing structures, commented on ceaselessly, are only left to be replaced by another unproven money game prone to corruption. This passes as higher political thought.

I'm looking for a counterculture left. A commune, perhaps, better described as a mutual aid society. Value is plastic and flexible. Pain and suffering is addressed immediately by the participants, not debated until the problem goes away. Authoritarianism and its bulliest nature would be exorcised. Life would slow down to a crawl. The slave mentality would not drive our existence. Someone else's profits would not be a problem until it appears to threaten the peace (and it would someday.) At that point money intersecting the personal relationship links would be disregarded and the spiritual connection between us would be reinforced. This is my big dream, an ideal ground down to dust in present sick society.

The rich elites rule because we allow them to. There's no health care, public schools, free transportation, unpolluted air and water because the citizens allow it. Finding a new boss will lead to the same results of oppression and repression. When will political active people be active for their own self interest, organizing outside of definitions given to us by the elite owned media and institutions? Speakers seem so sure in their direction, but listening closely, I hear only demagoguery appealing to the emotions not controlled by the listeners and leading the lost into another dangerous situation. Money, of course, being the glue of discourse. Eugene Debs' quote "If I could lead you into paradise, I wouldn't, because someone else would lead you out" applies. With all the talk about personal responsibility it can be amazing to see how gladly individuals give it up in exchange for false hope. We seem so insecure, individually and collectively.

What's the problem of living in this mindset except the ultimate end of dying in a cardboard box under the highway overpass? The benefits are my good nature humor has returned, my compassion for my fellow man has increased, and instances of peace of mind are making it worthwhile. I enjoy being around people more as I am on top of my emotions (most times). I aspire to the snow on a bamboo leaf as it slides off onto the ground (another Buddhist metaphor that helps me understand). As the tensions add up I'm learning to let go without involving others in my pain. Passing the stress to the undeserving seems to be the source of negativity. A lot less sure of my Big Fat Opinion, relying on Maybe as a guiding force. I'm not attaching myself to those so sure in direction like a NASCAR roadster bound for a crash. I'm preferring a long, meandering ride in the country. It's life worth living, regardless of the ultimate end.

No comments:

Post a Comment