Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Thinking About Thinking*



Our undisciplined minds can easily lead us astray. The fact one has accumulated a memory can be used against you. Many associations are simply flat-out wrong and can lead to dire consequences. Because something happened many years ago does not necessarily mean it will happen the same way now. One moment is connected to the next, but disconnected across the space of time. Sometimes, the mind doesn't see it that way.

I've been meditating daily and filtering my mind for almost a year now. My mental state has vastly improved. My seething anger level is quieted. I can even squeeze out a bit of hope now and then. I have a terrific mind, generating constantly thoughts of action. Intelligence I was blessed with and I say that with humility. What I didn't pay attention to until this year was harnessing, controlling by slowing down the thinking process as a means to improve it.

Meditation has become the jockey in my thoroughbred mind and for me I believe I will cash a lot of karmic tickets at the window. I threw the jockey off last spring and let the horse run wild and it cost me. It ran until exhaustion, damaging everything in its' path. After a time in the pasture, it's time to get back to the track and listen to the hands of the rider, striding through to the finish line.

I wish my fellow workers, friends and family to learn from my life's undisciplined behavior and see how important it is to think clearly on a moment to moment basis. Our minds are easily hijacked by the latest desire, deluded by an attachment or angered by a slight. It's incredibly difficult to be on top of each instance. We must prepare ourselves to receive so we can answer appropriately. As I transform, in my daily interactions I want to the world to transform through patience and compassion in mind, body and thought through action beneficial to all.

No comments:

Post a Comment