Sunday, January 18, 2009

Voice from the Swamp


I'm supposed to have a job. I have for the most part of thirty years. I'm accomplished in my field, knowledgable in my craft and talented. Yet, I can't get into a slave mentality.

Does anyone even talk in terms of personal freedom today? Crawling to the finish line and getting a crumbs for a pension is what work seems to be about. Freedom from hunger, a basic human staple the state can't even provide, is the main discussion. Maybe freedom from not having that Apache war ship not strafe your neighborhood passes for a people striving for freedom.

What got me into this state of withdrawl is the fact I cared too much and I attached too much of my life and being to my job. I wanted a better place to spend my awake moments and others were satisfied with it as it was, the misery I saw it as it was. If your attitude is 'anything for a buck' life was OK there. I wanted more out of life and now it's all mine to make something.

I have learned to relax and I want to point out to those drones still in the hive of employment that the routine and pressures under a 40 hr week will not allow you to settle down. It's planned that way to keep you in a state of constant agitation. Squeezing you and draining dignity is inherent in the management philosophies of business schools. Don't take work personal. I know you have heard it said, but take the time (on their time) to rest and reevaluate your life position everyday. Pay attention to what is deeply held in your mind and let the surface thoughts of recent stress go. Only your mental health is important and don't turn your soul over to them.

Inner peace to all.


No comments:

Post a Comment