Wednesday, January 7, 2009

Oprah Leads the Way*


Oprah seems to be the only popular culture figure confronting this modern internal population explosion. I have seen three excellent shows in the past few months from Hating Your Job (85% do) to Sleeplessness (70%s of Americans have a sleep disorder) to High Blood Pressure/Hypertension (Oprah herself claimed to wig out - the mind and body does some crazy things when stressed.) The lower economic classes have been experiencing these conditions for years, it takes Oprah to explain it to the middle class. Everyday I can find an article on the web dealing with people breaking down. The mean spirited laugh (Britney), or shake their heads in alarm and disgust (Santa's Christmas Eve murder spree). And all this with the normalized background of war pumping into their pysche through tv, radio and internet. If there is a shred of decency in people and they take on one injustice, it's not hard to find another, and another. Eventually, that person will be a puddle of tears. My daily meditation is my personal General Strike. No one may request a thing from me, or talk to me. I will not do a thing. I will not use the earth's resources or will I be taxed. I will reflect on my better personal nature and assure myself I am a kind and loving person. I can't let the anger in.

No comments:

Post a Comment